to inquire about or schedule your personal Spiritual Direction session
Spiritual Direction is…
the journey of discovering the relationship of how God is working in and through one’s life. Together the seeker and spiritual director rely on God’s guidance as they discern what is emerging…..where there are blocks and where there are openings to communing with God and how movement and growth are appearing.
A Brief History of Spiritual Direction
In Christianity, spiritual direction is as ancient as Christ’s early disciples, the Christian Desert Mothers and Fathers of the 3rd century. It also has roots in the monastic Rule of St. Benedict of the 6th century, and the Franciscan tradition that began with the teachings of St. Francis of Assisi. The world traditions of Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Native Americans also weave spiritual direction through their formation and relationships with the Divine.
A careful and prayerful shift of perspective keeps God as the focus… A spiritual director is to the faith journey much like a personal trainer is to a fitness program. When one is ready to take the step from group exercise classes to more in depth personal fitness, she seeks the support of a personal trainer. Likewise to take the leap of faith from group spiritual workshops, or solitary self-help, to the joy of self-permission to invite a spiritual director to accompany her on her inner journey…the woman begins a program of soul fitness.
Enter into spiritual direction to create peace with life’s pieces…Through spiritual direction, create a mosaic of your life as you identify, explore and piece together your questions and doubts, dreams and desires, challenges and joy, faith or search for faith. Enter spiritual direction to learn more about prayer. Let God unfold your path before you while blessing the years behind you.
Your unfolding story and experiences are prayerfully and confidentially held and acknowledged by Dana, who is a committed companion for the inner journey.
- you are at a crossroads, needing to make an important life decision that calls for spiritual discernment and prayer
- you believe God is calling you to something that you can’t quite grasp because of the daily demands of life
- your relationship with God feels blocked and you would like to open yourself to a more fulfilling spiritual life
- you would like to integrate your spiritual life more fully into every facet of your daily work, relationships, and experiences
- you sense you are experiencing an opening to enter into a deeper relationship with God and you are seeking ways to enrich your relationship with the Sacred through spiritual practices
- you want to serve God through your work and you are questioning how to do this
- you are seeking a companion, guide, or “soul friend” to accompany you on your spiritual journey
Spiritual Direction is….
- the ancient practice and process of listening to God with another
- the noticing of God’s Presence in your life with a personally chosen guide
- the journey of seeking the face of God
- the spiritual director’s modeling of a deep relationship with the Sacred, and standing contemplatively in faith and love with the seeker as that relationship reveals itself.
- a complimentary process that can work in tandem with psychotherapy and/or 12 step programs.
Spiritual Direction is not…
psychotherapy or a quick fix for all life’s problems. Rather, the focus in spiritual direction is the nurturance of one’s relationship with God. Certain challenges in life stem from emotional issues rooted in past trauma and/or early conditioning, this inner work requires professional assistance with a psychotherapist.
Schedule a Phone Session with Spiritual Director,
Contact Dana, Dana@SacredLifeArts.com to learn more about spiritual direction or to schedule a phone session. Dana’s suggested spiritual practices, which include journaling, visual prayer, and contemplative prayer, provide supportive tools for the inner journey.